It’s back to school time if you have school aged kids, but even if you don’t, it seems almost that universal “time to get back into a real routine” time of year.
It’s funny to me that January is the official “New Year New You, time to get life in order, I’m going to do things different,” frenzy that floods us December to mid January. When it seems, for most people September is the real start to kicking off the year.
September seems to be the starting point, scheduals start to form, plans are made, and new routines are developed. The holiday’s are over, we hope we are refreshed and ready to dig back into work and school.
Now for some people, the last few weeks of August might have been a reflective time or even a planning time for how to handle the morning rush and get everyone out the door with as few tears and stress as possible. (yes IT IS possible,😂 don’t shake your head at me!!) However some of you might be thinking about those routines right now….
There are ways to help your morning get off to a better brighter start.😍 Yes even if you are not a morning person, or the people you need to get out the door are not morning people, it can be done. 😊
And what if I told you it begins with YOU!
Now hold the phone, yes you read that right. The morning routine will be successful and it begins with you. How is that possible? Little secret…. if you aren’t rushed and impatient it goes a lot better.
How does that work?
Glad you asked…..
5 Fantastic Steps to a Better Morning Routine
1. Set up for Success the Night Before! I said these steps worked I didn’t say they were rocket science. The key to minimizing some of the morning craziness is to get ready what you can the night before. For older kids and teens make this part of their routine. It’s a good life skill. Pick out clothes, pack lunches or at least know what your taking for lunch, have the packpacks together and near the door, including your work bag and your purse or keys if you leave at the same time or whatever your morning activites. Also have shoes, coats etc all together. No one enjoys the race around the house looking for that missing shoe when you have to be out the door 5 minutes ago. Even go as far as having breakfast dishes on the table, and knowing whats for breakfast, the least you have to make decisions on in the morning the happier and less stressed it is.
2. Give yourself plenty of time! Jumping out of bed with 20 minutes before everyone needs to be out of the house, screaming and shoving food in their mouths might seem exciting to some…. says no one ever!! Give this some real thought. We are looking for a better morning routine, and that means TIME. Time to wake up, time to eat, time to shower, time to get things done.
3. Know what Works -Part one. This highlights the YOU, I mentioned earlier. You know you. You know if you are a bright and cheerful, ready to welcome the world as soon as you jump out of bed person, or if you are the I need to ease into this day, and would appreciate if I could do it in silence type of person. Or somewhere in between person. If you are the cheerful person you may not need extra time, or if your kids are older and don’t need your immediate attention you could use this time to slowly welcome the world. However if you are the needing silence to wake up, helpful hint to make your routine the best, wake up a little earlier then everyone else and feed that part of you, enjoy that silence you need so everyone benefits.
4. Know What Works – part 2. So if the above highlights you, this one highlights everyone else. If you have a mixed morning people household, do what can be done to let them wake up the way that is most successful. A cheerfull chatty…. encourage them to chat with you (cause you are ready for the day, see why YOU were first???) and leave those needing more time to slowly wake up in their way. And if you are the household with mostly silent types, breathe and enjoy the peace.
5. Perfection is Impossible! So life was going great, the routine was working beautifully then BAM! You slept in, they slept in, someone forgot to make a lunch, that crazy shoe disappeared right before you needed to leave, the needing to wake up slowly now can’t and is grumpy and you are feeling like you are up for worst parent of the year…… so it happens. The day starts off rocky, but you get out the door mostly on time, but tears do happen. Guess what, life is life and perfection doesn’t always happen perfectly. You still have this, and you are still greatness.
“ When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive- to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” – Marcus Aurelius
“ Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” – Winston Churchhill
Beautiful mornings can happen, and I hope for each of you that they happen many more times going forward.
Until next time, have a wonderful week!